This time of year is beautiful in Florida. The days are consistently in the 70’s, sunny and dry. Mornings and nights are cool, breezy and unbelievably fresh. This recent change in weather has inspired me to undergo a new fitness and diet transformation that I am entitling: New Start November. This month I will jump start a 35-lb shred (a weight loss goal I’d like to complete by my birthday in April), I will take up running (something I’ve never enjoyed but want to try) and I will renew my love of the great Florida outdoors. My transformation includes the following:
- 30 runs in 30 days – aka: running every day. I’m already sore but I’ve read that it takes 21 days to make something a habit… I have 5 days already under my belt!
- Running some local races – including the famous Color Run (more on this run in an upcoming post) and some island races in the area. This is a great way to socialize, challenge myself and see my training pay off. Goals are empowering and good motivation.
- Liquids for breakfast and lunch – to cut down on calories and grocery expenses, I’m going to juice and make smoothies for every breakfast and lunch. We have a stellar grapefruit tree in our back yard and a fantastic produce stand just 2 blocks away from our house. It’s perfect!
- Daily dinner challenge – dinner will be “real” food (i.e.: solid foods) but I am challenging myself to see how much of my dinner can be made with locally-grown produce from the produce stand. This way, I can eat healthy and help out a local business!
- Not biting my nails – this has been a bad habit of mine for as long as I can remember. However, I’ve discovered that if I paint my nails, I don’t nip at them! So I purchased some obnoxiously awesome nail polish with giant, glittery confetti in it and my nails have never looked better.
- Kayak trips – We live less than a mile from the beach and the mangroves (perfect spots to put in kayaks) and there are dozens of intercostal waterways and uninhabited islands to discover. I will plan half-full day kayak trips so I can explore the area and get back on the water. I find the water rejuvenating and meditative…and I can’t wait to get back out there!
This challenge will be…. challenging. But I’m excited for the adventure I look forward to my new lifestyle… and my new body! And thanks to things like Pinterest, there are lots of tips, tricks and endless inspiration!